Biographies Home

Yarrow, British Columbia

Edited by
Esther Epp Harder, Edwin Lenzmann, and Elmer Wiens

Biographies and Obituaries


Peter P. Friesen was born on May 14, 1918 in Slavgorod, Russia to Peter J. and Susanna (nee Unruh) Friesen.

When he was eight years old, the family came to Canada and settled in Morden, Manitoba for the first winter. They moved to Arden, Manitoba the next year and 3 years later to the Justice, Manitoba area, they lived until 1947.

In 1941 on June twelve he married Helen (nee Unger) in Steinbach, Manitoba. In 1947 they moved to B.C. They lived four years in Chilliwack and came to Yarrow in December of 1951, where Peter resided until his passing.

Peter accepted the Lord as his Saviour at the early age of nine and was baptized when he was 17 at Moore Park, Manitoba and joined the Mennonite Brethren Church. Peter was always willing to serve in the church and taught Sunday School for many years. He attended Steinbach Bible School after high school for two years. This greatly helped him in his work. He was also active in the church board for a number of years.

But his greatest love was music and he sang in many quartets and choirs before directing his first choir in Justice, Manitoba. In Chilliwack, he had the joy of working with the Youth Choir. Here in Yarrow he sang in George Reimer's Choir for many years. In 1969 a German Choir was started and he was the leader of this group for 14 years. He enjoyed the work very much and was concerned that they sing to praise the Lord and to be a blessing to the older German speaking people. In 1964 Peter and Helen were asked to serve in the Yarrow Church as Deacons and were ordained on May 22, 1966 and, with the Lord's strength, he was a blessing to many.

He was an accountant by trade and worked for 18 years at Martens Motors in Yarrow. The last five years he worked at Wakefield Sperling in Abbotsford which he enjoyed greatly.

In April of 1982 he showed symptoms of illness and had surgery in July at the Chilliwack hospital which revealed cancer of the liver. At first it was a shock but he accepted it and was willing to walk the way with the Lord. He enjoyed fair health until October of 1982 when he was almost completely bedridden at home. He enjoyed each visit and always said, "Come again." On Sunday, February 13, 1983, his condition weakened and he was taken to the Chilliwack hospital where he passed away peacefully on Thursday, February 17 at five minutes after 12 noon.

The funeral was held on Monday, February 21, at the Yarrow M.B. Church. Knowing that he was going "Home", he planned his funeral, choosing the music the German choir would sing and the scripture for the message.

We as a family, wife Helen and children Henry, Arthur, Albert, Kathleen and Peter, will miss him greatly but we know he is with the Lord and are rejoicing that he has overcome so victoriously. We as a family would like to thank each one who visited and prayed so faithfully for him and us. It sustained him and he had a glorious home-going.


      Copyright © Elmer G. Wiens:   EgwaldTM Web Services       All Rights Reserved.    Inquiries